Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Goblins are serious business.

Almost immediately after gathering my composure in Agon, I was tasked with murdering some of the little scamps and collecting some of their weapons. No problem! I've murdered countless goblins in other worlds, surely these little buggers will be no different. The location of said goblins was even conveniently marked on my map. Pfft, I thought Agon was only for the hardcore? So, I throw on my pretty green leafblade and head out to commit some murders. In no time, there's only one more hill between myself and my prey. I've heard that monsters in Agon ain't nothin' to uff wit', so I cautiously make my way over the hill and descend into the goblin infested swamp below, and...

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN!

Before I can see the dirty little bastards, Crom Inator is screaming in pain with multiple arrows protruding from his flesh. At different angles. Closer to a tree line than the hill behind me, I sprint into the swamp for cover. From behind the tree I can now see my "prey" strafing with bows drawn, waiting for a shot on me to present itself. I rest up, quote a couple lines from Die Hard, and charge... to the next tree for cover. Mama didn't raise no fool.

In no time, my tree-to-tree strategy has me close enough to repay one of the goblins for the arrows sticking out of my body. With another Die Hard quote or two, I rush out and wildly swing my pretty green sword until it's covered in goblin blood, and the little bastard I'm swinging it at drops to the ground. I would have said until he stopped fighting back, but when it became clear to him that I was the superior combatant, he turned to run. Fast as he was, I was faster. One clean overhead swing to the back ended that particular goblin's life. What I didn't notice, however, was the pain from new arrows protruding from various points of my person. Adrenaline can do that, I guess. Ducking behind a tree, the adrenaline rushed away and was replaced with pain. The fight with that goblin HURT; I had only barely survived, though I didn't realize that until afterward. I did realize there were a few useful items on the body of said goblin, his axe in particular. Ducking out from cover long enough to properly plunder his lifeless body, I felt much better prepared for the next fight. Turns out that was a good thing, as the rest of them weren't content waiting for me to bring the fight to them. While resting, I peeked around the side of my tree and see the goblins advancing, now with melee weapons ready. Having healed from the initial shock of their arrows and mostly recovered from the first fight, I was ready. The items taken from the first goblin ensured a swift demise for the rest of them.

Before I knew it, I had murdered far more of these snotbags than needed to satisfy my employer, and my backpack was nearly overflowing with their shoddy (but effective) equipment. It was time to take my leave from this swamp, and return to town a hardened combat veteran.

No comments:

Post a Comment