Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Profit

My adventurous spirit had turned out to be quite profitable after all. Between various stashes of gold found in chests scattered around Agon and the personal effects of my new favorite prey, I had amassed what I considered to be a small fortune. All that without yet using the recently found keys to unlock even more glorious treasure chests!

Knowing that a trip to the windlords could be hazardous, I delayed the looting of said treasure chests until after safely depositing the rest of my spoils in the bank, and would return to the bank between hauls from the chest. The first trip went completely without incident. Oh sure, there was some flexing between the windlords and myself, but a mutual respect was growing between us. I would make derogatory comments about their lineage, and they would shoot balls of lightning at my back in turn, but neither of us crossed the line into the realm of murderous rage.

Unlocking the chest was a truly momentous occasion. Inside it were trinkets, weapons and armor with magical enhancements, in addition to a good chunk of gold. Doing my best to conceal my glee from the windlords and any passers by I might encounter, I set off to deposit these items in my bank with the rest of my hoard. Not knowing the location of any other chests to unlock with the second key, I chose to wait a period of time with the hope that my chest would be refilled. I don't know how it would get refilled, and I don't care. If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense. Or something.

After some time had passed, I made another voyage out to the windlords. When I got there, it quickly became evident that something was amiss. The windlords were seemingly occupied with what I could only imagine to be one of the Snobs coming to try and loot MY chest. With my polearm drawn, I crept into the building I was getting so familiar with. The sound of combat was nearby. My eyes were alert, looking for the slightest movement or variation from the norm so I could fell any opponent before they were aware of my presence. Entering the final room of the building, the one with my chest, I was a bit relieved to find it empty of everything but more treasure for the taking. This haul would prove to be better than the first, only there was still the issue of that other person nearby.

And then the sounds of combat stopped.

And then the sounds of footsteps started.

And then the treasure I had just picked up felt eleventy times heavier.

Not being one to panic, I picked a spot that would give me a good vantage point on the only entrance to the room, keep my back to the wall, and keep myself relatively hidden. The footsteps kept coming, and then fading. It was as if the person was looking for someone, or something. Most likely they were after me lucky charms, and I wasn't about to give them up. Eventually the footsteps paused and then turned into the thunderous sounds of a mount of some sort. For all of my adventuring and newfound fortune, I did not yet have a mount. That fact made me even less interested in a fight with the person at the reigns of this particular mount. Oh, and the fact that they had been slaughtering windlords.

My patience would pay off, though. As the sounds of the mount and her rider faded into the distance. Wanting to avoid a chance encounter on the way back to town, I opted to use a skill I had recently learned allowing me to teleport inside the walls of my home city. My eyes closed, heels thrice clicked, and the words "there's no place like home" repeated with each click, I began channeling the required energy. What I didn't know was just how long such a thing would take, or just how loud it was. I'm sure that had I started channeling while someone was in combat, they would hear me over any noises made by their melee.
Then I wondered how far the sound would travel, and how long it might take the rider to find me if he heard.
It was a very tense few minutes, but ultimately ended safely and capped off a profitable adventure quite well.

2 comments:

  1. Seletine chest I'm guessing? And yes, recalling is VERY loud and easy to pinpoint, so you are very lucky you did not start it sooner.

    BTW, in the post before this one, with the three orcs, were those players or mobs? Because if they were players, good job on taking them down. If they were mobs, lucky you for getting two keys.

    Oh, and if the chest is a selentine chest, ask in trade chat to buy those for 150g, I'm sure you will find some sellers. Not only will you make 50g profit per key, but get those nice (for a new player) items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure it was a Selentine chest, yeah. That's the lowest grade, right?

    The Orks I was referring to were NPC's, there would have been much more gloating if I had managed to down a trio of players ;) While I used to be a force to be reckoned with in PvP games, my skills leave a bit to be desired these days.

    I never thought of buying those keys at a discount, that's a good idea. Thanks.

    And thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete