Thursday, January 28, 2010

More of the same

With my new set of armor, I looked like quite the big dog on campus. It was time to leave the smaller Alfar hamlet I had called home, and make my presence known in our capital city of Shoal. When I arrived, news of my previous deeds had apparently preceeded me. Numerous business owners in Shoal had extremely large contracts to offer me, paying quite well. They wanted me to slaughter all sorts of creatures, gather all sorts of commodities, and promised me the world in gold and items when I was done. I gladly accepted these jobs, though I hadn't the slightest idea where the majority of the creates that needed killing called home. Except for one, good old goblins.

I had been tasked with killing an extremely large amount of goblins. Possibly more than I had killed combined up to this point. Rather than return the place I had just left to do more of the same swamp goblin murdering, I heard that another hamlet to the North of Shoal had a goblin problem as well. When I arrived, the rumors turned out to be true. This was an underground hamlet, and goblins were literally covering the ground above and surrounding the place. I didn't have to stroll around the city for long before various rewards were offered for goblin blood and trinkets. With multiple jobs requiring me to do one thing, one thing that I was exceptionally good at, my path was clear. Kill goblins until I couldn't kill goblins any more.

As I approached a goblin encampment above ground, I spotted an Alfar brother in the distance. He was much less well equipped than myself, and fumbled about with his weapon. But, he got the job done. With a casual wave and a look of apprehension, I went about my business of slaughtering goblins in front of him. The look on his face when he noticed me whistling "Heigh Ho" whilst removing my polearm from a fallen goblin shaman told me he was impressed by my style, yet I resisted the urge to curtsey and thank him for noticing. But it wasn't easy to do so. The two of us killed goblins side by side without incident, further restoring my faith in my fellow Alfar.

Before too long, a few of the jobs from the underground hovel were completed, and I set off to receive my pay and find out what more the people would have me do. Sure enough, there was a need for yet more goblins to die. Which suited my own needs fine, as I had barely put a dent in my larger quota of goblin massacre from the big city. After all the traveling and gladhanding I had done to proffer all these different jobs, some R&R was in order before I went back out and mercilessly slaughtered hundreds of genetically inferior opponents.

When I was well rested, I returned to the same goblin camp as before and found things much as I left them. The same Alfar I had impressed with my martial prowess before was still putting down his share of the wiley green buggers, though he seemed to be doing a better job of it than before. He was also accompanied by someone who appeared to share his lineage, the resemblance was undeniable. This newer Alfar seemed to fancy the casting of spells, though. While neither of them appeared exceptionally skilled, they worked together quite well and put the goblins down with great efficiency. I gave them a casual wave, and went about my business.

The slaying of goblins that had once given me such an adrenaline rush had now become rather mundane. To be honest, it was even a bit relaxing. Quite unlike the sting of a magical ball of energy immediately followed by the business end of a polearm to your backside. No; that feeling is not the least bit relaxing. My zen state was broken and I was being accosted by the two Alfar I was merrily fighting alongside. The shock of this sent me in to a bit of a panic, and I wasted valuable time trying to escape my attackers rather than turn and ruthlessly murder them like they deserved. This would prove to be fatal, as the two would manage to gank me before I could successfully drop one of them.

Maybe there's a downside to looking so good in a suit of armor. In any case, this was a fight I would not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment