Thursday, January 21, 2010

Racial Pride

There are a total of six different player races in the world of Agon, forming three separate factions. The largest faction, dubbed "The Snobs," is comprised of the goody-goody Humans, fat and smelly Dwarves, and the pointy eared Mirdain. The next faction, "The Savages," includes the brutishly stupid Orks, and their lap dogs the Mahirim. Those of you who can count will notice that I have named five of six races, and two of three factions. The third faction I refer to simply as "The Alfar." I call them this because the faction is made up entirely by the race of Alfar characters. Also because I couldn't come up with anything fitting that begins with an S. I thought "The Superawesomest Faction" might make me seem biased.


The Alfar have no allies to aid them in battle. They can only count on themselves. It was this fact that lead to me creating Crom Inator as an Alfar. I assumed that having literally the whole world out to get you would lead to a sense of brotherhood and comraderie among the Alfar. Those of you who picked up on the word "assumed" in my previous sentence can probably see where this is going.


After slaughtering many goblins and performing a few other tasks for various people around town, I was feeling pretty good about myself. I had a good set of armor coming along, much better (and more stylish) than the garbage worn by goblins. Along with that, my skill with a polearm was coming along nicely. That never ending swarm of goblins didn't stand a chance if I was in the swamps. I had picked up another job from someone in town, requiring more items that could be acquired from *drumroll* GOBLINS! No problem, piece of cake. I suited up, hummed a few bars from Eye of the Tiger, and it was time for some murder.


When I arrived at the swamp, something was different. The swamp looked as it normally does after I had been there for a long period of time; there were goblin corpses everywhere. Following the trail of corpses and blood lead me quickly to the source of both, a fellow Alfar! He seemed to have his act together - even more so than myself. The armor he wore was metal, and he wielded a very shiny greatsword. Figuring he had this patch of swamp under control, I ventured deeper into the swamp than I had previously, and went to work. While plucking out the eyes of a goblin (it's a dirty job, but... you know), I heard the clashing of metal armor approaching from behind. By the time I turned to face what was approaching me, they were upon me. They were upon me with a very shiny greatsword. Panic and confusion quickly set in, but were washed away by rage even quicker. My attacker was none other than the well outfitted Alfar I had just passed. An Alfar, one of my own. The rage in my eyes must have caught him just as off guard as his initial attack had caught me. It didn't take long for him to lose interest in a fight after the initial rush was over. He turned from me and fled towards town, washing away the rage I felt with more confusion. I didn't pursue him. I was here for the blood of goblins, not my fellow Alfar.


After taking a moment to rest before getting back to the business of Goblin Murder™, it didn't take long to complete the task I had been hired for. But, as I was engaged with a goblin whose left eye would be the final check on my list, I felt the familiar sting of an arrow in my back. Turning to discover the source, I saw noone other than that shiny armored bloody Alfar raining arrows down on me from cliffs above the swamp. Quickly finishing the goblin, and opting to leave his eye intact for the time being, I ran for the base of the cliff to provide some cover while I rested.


What happened next surprised me greatly. My attacker had decided the quickest way to get to me would be to jump off of the cliff from which he stood. The fall left him gravely injured, but along with having a shiny set of armor, shiny greatsword, accurate bow and pointy arrows, he also had a magic freaking wand with which he was able to heal himself. Though I started the melee in a better position than he, it did not take long before he plunged his greatsword into me one last time as I fell into the swirling darkness.


Oh to hell with all the wordplay. The fully armored douchebag ganked me. So much for brotherhood and comraderie among the Alfar. Maybe we weren't allied with any other race for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment