Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Self Reliance

After tallying up all the profits from my escapade into the land of The Snobs, I felt as though some form of a reward was deserved. And, what's better than a new set of matching armor to make an Alfar feel pretty? That's right, nothing. I went shopping.

/montage

As epic as the shopping montage was, it would be more accurately described as a window shopping montage. Maybe a looking montage. Either matching armor was ridiculously expensive, and only available to the richest of the rich (like me), or I wasn't as rich as I thought. Sure, I could afford a full set of armor. But I wasn't going to pay that much for it. You could totally see the seams in some of that stuff, anyway. No, I would not buy the over priced and shoddy quality armor available in my home city. I would take up a trade that would allow me to make my own armor. Surely something made by my own hands would better protect my body and be more fashionable than some off the shelf, one size fits all, get up. My first purchase was a needle and thread, followed by some slight training from a tailor, and a large amount of cloth. If I was going to fashion a quality set of leather armor, I wanted to make sure I had the basics down with a cheaper material.

Let me tell you, I could run one hell of a sweat shop. I forced myself to stitch, and seam, and stitch, and alter, and stitch, and hem, and stich, and couture... I'm sure you get the point. I practiced making cloth goods until literally some crazy passer-by ran up and said the following:

"Yo Crom, I'ma let you finish your work and all, but I just wanna say something. Those pants you just made are the best pants of all time."

...

"OF ALL TIME!"

For some reason everyone in an earshot started booing at the man, but I appreciated his appreciation of my pants. In fact, I took his words to heart and stopped working on the piece he interrupted. Accepting the fact that I would never make another cloth good as that last pair, and moved on to the real reason I picked up this vocation: leather armor.

It took a few tries getting used to the new material. Some materials were wasted, some fingertips were stabbed, but in the end I had accomplished my goal. I had crafted a complete set of leather armor, custom fit to my own body. I felt more protected than ever before. And, I looked damn good. Strutting back to the bank with not a worry in my mind, I started to wonder what I would do with the rest of my hard earned gold. When I arrived at the bank, I had my answer. Nothing. In a tailoring frenzy that would put Armani to shame, I had burned through all of my gold reserves in training and materials. I was dead broke, but I would never have to worry about buying sets of armor again.

Also, I don't think I can stress this enough, I looked damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment